Thursday, October 10, 2013

performance art






"Have you noticed that after a week in Italy we haven't seen one busker?" TO asked.

We were heading for the Piazza del Duomo, and about to catch our very first glimpse of Florence's famous cathedral.

A few seconds later we turned the corner and there she was… An old gypsy with one of those pathetic little plastic drinking cups that wouldn't hold a euro, on her knees in an attitude of prayer.

I cannot tell a lie… we both broke into fits of hysterical laughter.

---------------------

The picture below does not seem to be from Florence, nor does it seem to show any bona fide Gypsies busking, but it did make me smile.






6 comments:

  1. Buskers I can handle but beggers make me feel uncomfortable. How can you tell if they are poor because of their own irresponsibility or are they poor because of incidents beyond their control?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, what most bothers me about beggars is that some of them are just con-merchants who make a pile of money playing on people's guilt. And what if they are going to waste the money on booze or glue?

      In nearly 50 years, only one person has ever accepted an offer that I buy him a meal. He was thirtyish, seemed to be hearing voices in his head, was very hungry, and happy to be fed.

      I once had a young teen ask me for $6 because he had no money for his train fare home. I gave him $3 just to teach him a lesson [it probably didn't].

      Finally, I got bailed up once by a woman in the foyer of St Francis' church. She had an elaborate story about needing money to get home to Heidelberg, so I gave her $10. The next time I was there, so was she, with the same story. I think she really was mentally disturbed, but now I've become hard and mean. I support charities, and tell beggars "where to go" when they ask for help. Leave it to the experts, I say.

      Delete
  2. Ha! It made me smile too FC ..only I hope that cat is not kaput :) I mean seriously even if this guy was a secret millionaire I'd still have to put something in these cups for the cuteness factor :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too nice, Grace. Perhaps some kibble for the dog, and a tin of sardines for puss?

      Delete
  3. Snap! PDP - my first thought was for the putzekat.

    More than half of beggars 'have own home', police find
    Telegraph.co.uk-07/10/2013
    West Midlands Police conducted an eight-week initiative into begging and found that of 28 people arrested on suspicion of pleading for money,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something very beggar's opera about it all, Ann. The more things change...

      Delete